The international selection of short films, produced by the UK’s Crafts Council and Crafts magazine, is an eclectic programme that explores our relationship with materials and making, and celebrates craft in all its facets.
The 33 short films are divided across two sessions, that cover an incredible diversity of styles, people and approaches.
There’s BAFTA-winning, hand-crafted animation and music videos as well as glimpses behind the scenes in makers’ studios.
Specialisms include weaving, glass-making, mosaic, ceramics, metalwork, costume and even bread making.
You don’t have to be a ‘maker’ to enjoy these films.
Themes are at times playful or meditative, some highlight social impact projects, there’s comedy and song, even dance…
REAL TO REEL IS SHOWING AT VENUES ACROSS AUSTRALIA
Scroll down for all dates.
- Perth with Maker&Smith: Friday 2 August (The Backlot)
- Mosman Park, WA with Maker&Smith: Friday 9 August (Camelot)
- Melbourne with Craft Victoria: Thursday 22 + Friday 23 August (Nova)
- Sydney with Australian Design Centre: Thursday 5 September (Chauvel); Saturday 21 September (Casula Powerhouse)
- Cowra, NSW: Friday 1 November (Cowra Regional Art Gallery)
- Alice Springs, NT with Central Craft: Friday 29 November, 6.30pm (Alice Springs Cinema)
- Port Lincoln, South Australia: Friday 10 January 2020 (Nautilus Art Centre)
- Melbourne with Craft Victoria: Thursday 23 January 2020
- Adelaide with Guildhouse: Saturday 1 February (Mercury Cinema)
- Castlemaine, VIC: Sunday 16 February (Craft Victoria in partnership with BUDA at the Theatre Royal) Part of the Makers’ Immersion Weekend; view program and bookings.
- Denmark, WA: Friday 13 March 2020 with Creative Albany aka Fathom Co. Book tickets.
- Mt Gambier, South Australia: Friday 20 March 2020 – POSTPONED until further notice. (Riddoch Art Gallery) Book tickets.
- Murwillumbah, NSW: POSTPONED until further notice. (Tweed Regional Gallery). Book tickets.
- Mt Gambier, South Australia: POSTPONED until further notice. (Riddoch Art Gallery) Book tickets.
Real to Reel: The Craft Film Festival is produced by the Crafts Council and Crafts magazine.
Real to Reel is presented in Australia by Maker&Smith, and its tour is in partnership with host organisations in each state including: Australian Design Centre, Craft Victoria, Central Craft, Guildhouse and Craft ACT.
If you are interested in screening Real to Reel please contact us.